Did you know? Sugar often sneaks its way into your diet through drinks like juice or sodas.
Sugar, in its many forms, is an increasingly common ingredient in processed foods. In fact, many of us eat the equivalent of 53 heaping teaspoons of white sugar every day! Many experts now agree that reducing sugar intake is an essential ingredient for natural health.
And in case you needed more convincing, here are five reasons to avoid refined (white) sugar.
- Sugar causes the body to release more adrenaline, which has been linked to hyperactivity in young children.
- Ingesting sugar makes the pancreas work harder to produce insulin. Diabetes results when the overworked pancreas can no longer eliminate sugar from the bloodstream.
- Sugar increases mood swings, irritability and anxiety. If you’re already an anxious or stressed person, sugar won’t make your life any easier, but a visit to our practice might.
- Sugar has been known to compromise the immune system because it lowers the efficiency of white blood cells for a minimum of five hours.
- Eating sugar can decrease helpful high-density cholesterol (HDLs) and result in an increase in harmful cholesterol (LDLs).
Need to sweeten your food? Try adding raisins, dates or honey. Alternative sweeteners like Stevia are also a better bet–they’re available in several forms, have no calories and won’t raise blood sugar levels.